Forget the traditional applesauce recipe! Here’s a reinvented recipe of strawberry and rhubarb compote with chia seeds:
Makes about 4 cups
- 4 cups of fresh rhubarb pieces (1/2-inch-wide)
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- Combine the rhubarb and maple syrup in a heavy, large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender but not falling apart (about 7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the strawberries and let them heat through.
- At this stage you can mash the compote with a potato masher for a rough texture, or blend it with a food processor.
- Add the chia seeds at the end, stirring well to make sure they don’t clump.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill until cold, about 1 hour.